Saturday, January 31, 2009

Untamed (House of Night #4) By Kristin Cast + P.C. Cast

Untamed By Kristin Cast + P.C. Cast

Published: September 2008
Pages: 352
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Life sucks when your friends are pissed at you. Just ask Zoey Redbird – she’s become an expert on suckiness. In one week she has gone from having three boyfriends to having none, and from having a close group of friends who trusted and supported her, to being an outcast. Speaking of friends, the only two Zoey has left are undead and unMarked. And Neferet has declared war on humans, which Zoey knows in her heart is wrong. But will anyone listen to her? Zoey's adventures at vampyre finishing school take a wild and dangerous turn as loyalties are tested, shocking true intentions come to light, and an ancient evil is awakened in PC and Kristin Cast's spellbinding fourth House of Night novel.

Since I always start my House of Night reviews off with talking about their wonderful covers, I just want to say: this is my favorite cover in the whole series! It is absolutely beautiful! Her hair is perfect, the tattoos are EXACTLY how I imagined them and the patterns on the side match her tattoo adding the final touch of perfection.

A girl in my Marketing class told me that this book was the worst in the series. She told me it was super repetitive (which sums up the first two) and never gets interesting. Wow, I don't think she could have been any farther from the truth. Although I didn't enjoy the first two books (read my reviews for details) I absolutely loved the third and fourth books!

Untamed had depth that the rest of the series only touched upon. Zoey finally opened up to herself, as well as her friends, and realized how powerful she truly is. Instead of spending all of her time, which she doesn't usually have much of to spare, chasing boys, Zoey begins taking care of important things.

I actually LOVE the boy problems Zoey has in this book, their so much more realistic than in the first and second, and even half of the third book. Instead of swooning over three completely opposite boys, Zoey is grieving over the loss of Stark, and trying to ignore her pain that Loren caused. The most realistic part of the whole situation was the communication between her and Erik. Both her and Erik's reactions were realistic. I love how easily it is to relate to what both of them are going through. I have never cheated on a boy before but Zoey's pain is so apparent and well written that I feel like I can completely empathize for her.

The turns that the book takes in the end are clearly a set up for Hunted. The nerd-herd (which Aphrodite is officially a part of!!!) all got away but now they need to fix things, once and for good. I am really looking forward to Hunted which is coming out very very soon!

4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Yeay!! awesome review. I loved this book and all of the "nerd herd" action. I enjoyed that Aphrodited and Zoey became close, their conversations are amazing. The Eric and Zoey angle is as you have pointed out realisitc and you can feel Zoey's pain as she tries to talk to Eric. I know that everything in this book is just a jumping off point for the next book HUNTED, but it just leaves me wanting for more more more. I cannot wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete