Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

Published: January 1997
Pages: 208
Age Group: EVERYONE!
Publisher: Bantam Books

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher. Someone older who understood you when you were young and searching, who helped you see the world as a more profound place, and gave you advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago.

Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of your mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you?

Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college.

Tuesdays With Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift to the world.

WOW. If you have not read Tuesdays With Morrie you are truly missing out. This is the most inspirational and emotional book I have ever read. Every person out there can taoke something away from this compelling and true story. I can honestly say that Tuesdays With Morrie has changed my life.

I honestly feel like it is impossible to review this book. Every single word that comes out of Morrie's mouth is straight from the heart and filled with so much passion. He is full of wisdom and truly inspirational. Morrie's story is one that everyone should hear.

Albom does an amazing job of showing the love in Morrie's heart as well as his strength. Morrie is a retired college professor who is going through the ending stages of ALS (commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease). Every Tuesday, Mitch Albom flies from his home in Detroit to visit his favorite professor where they have serious discussions about a different topic every week.

My favorite discussion was during the first Tuesday where Morrie discusses death. He explains to Mitch his belief that in order to expreience the most out of living you must be prepared to die. His reasoning is that if you live every day as if it is your last, you won't have any regrets and will get everything you wanted out of life plus more. This discussion really touched me because like Albom and many others, death terrifies me. When I finally realized this I realized how this fear was holding me back.

My favorite line from Tuesdays With Morrie is "love is the only rational act". This quote was from Morrie himself, and if you think about it this small quote explains everything. Every act you do should be out of love. Love for yourself, love for others and love of life. If every action of yours is based off of love, you have only love in your life. I'm working to live my life this way.

I don't want to give away too much of this story so I won't talk about any more parts. I just want everyone to know about this book and how absolutely beautiful it is. The book made me laugh, cry, and most of all think. It is life-changing and extremely eye opening.

I give this book a 5+/5.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one. It sounds like I might have to get a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read this one :( I'm such a dork, especially since I read and LOVED the five people you meet in heaven. It was so darn awesome that I am definitely interested in reading more Mitch Albom. Unfortunately, other books have gotten in the way hehe I'll get to it though :D

    ReplyDelete