Friday, January 23, 2009

Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion By L. J. Smith

Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion By L. J. Smith

Published: 1991
Pages: 528
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Harper Teen

Elena: transformed, the golden girl has become what she once feared and desired.
Stefan: tormented by losing Elena, he's determined to end his feud with Damon once and for all—whatever the cost. But slowly he begins to realize that his brother is not his only enemy.
Damon: at last, he possesses Elena. But will his thirst for revenge against Stefan poison his triumph? Or can they come together to face one final battle?
Collected here in one edition are the third and fourth volumes of The Vampire Diaries, a riveting conclusion to the tale of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.

Due to some shipping and ordering issues, I wasn't able to read this book for a few weeks after reading the first one. With that being said, I had a lot of time to think about it, guess what would happen, and just get excited for it. When I finally got it, I felt pretty let down.

There were so many parts of this book that I never understood. What was the point of killing Elena? Why was Elena so obsessed with Damon and Stefan liking each other? Why did Elena keep saying she loved Stefan so much, but everytime they were alone she suddenly had a million other things to do? What was the point of bringing Katherine back? When Katherine had them as prisoners, why was Stefan acting so weird? Why did Katherine think she killed Klaus if she obviously didn't? What was with all the weird ghosts? And how did Elena just suddenly come back?

Now that I'm done ranting, there were a few parts I did like. I actually enjoyed reading from Bonnie's perspective because I always felt she had so much more to offer than they let her. She always has so many thoughts, whether they are relevent to what is going on or not, which seems so much more realistic for a teen. She showed more emotions than Elena.

The biggest problem I had with this book was I felt like I never connected with it. Instead of recreating relationships and emotions, Smith just assumed that the reader was still connected with emotions that she explained in the first book. The only people who were easy to connect with were Katherine and Klaus because they were the only characters to grow in any way during this book. I suppose Tyler too since he changed so much.

I wish this book would have been more captivating because I felt so drawn to the first.
I wasn't a very big fan, 2/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment